Guest: Peter Lee. We discussed some of the background story on Xinjiang, a province and autonomous region in the northwest of China that borders on Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India and is part of the historical Silk Road. We also talked about the Uyghurs, the current situation in Xinjiang, the media coverage and the escalating tensions between the US and China. In a bonus question for patrons (Ep 181EXTRA Taiwan and Top Asia-Related Issues), I asked Peter which Asia-related issues he thinks are most pressing, worrying or important to focus on right now.
Peter has decades of experience in East Asia both as a businessman and as a writer. He produces Peter Lee’s China Threat Report and has been published at Asia Times, CounterPunch at his own blog, China Matters.
Recorded on September 2, 2020. Music by Fluorescent Grey.
- Peter Lee’s China Threat Report: The Xinjiang Series No. 1: The Crisis of Governance
- Peter Lee’s China Threat Report: Assessing the Timetable for Taiwan Independence and World War III
- Peter Lee’s blog archive on Uyghurs
- Scott Horton interview with Andrew Bacevich: Ep. 5009 – Andrew Bacevich on Soros and Koch Teaming Up to End the Wars – 7/3/2019
- ATE Episode 14: The Future of China in the Age of Trump feat. Peter Lee (Chinahand)
- ATE Episode 61: Escalation With China feat Peter Lee