Journalist and author Matt Taibbi joins the show to talk about his latest book chapter, titled: “It’s official: Russiagate is this generation’s WMD: The Iraq war faceplant damaged the reputation of the press. Russiagate just destroyed it” and we discuss some corporate media reaction to the piece. We think back on the changes to American policy and American life brought about by the WMD lies, the Iraq War and the War on Terror and the likelihood of serious, real world consequences of the Russiagate conspiracy. This is one of the reasons why it’s so important to re-examinine the origins and details of the Russiagate story now that it has collapsed.
But even as the Russiagate conspiracy collapses, the curiously bipartisan consensus on the matter of Russia being a threat to our democracy lives on — or at least the establishment and national security state are working hard to make sure it survives even if all or most other aspects of the narrative die.
Matt Taibbi is an author, journalist and contributing editor for Rolling Stone. He won the 2008 National Magazine Award for columns and commentary. His most recent book is ‘I Can’t Breathe: A Killing on Bay Street,’ about the infamous killing of Eric Garner by the New York City police. He’s also the author of the New York Times bestsellers ‘Insane Clown President,’ ‘The Divide,’ ‘Griftopia,’ and ‘The Great Derangement.’
FOLLOW Matt on Twitter @mtaibbi. Find his articles at Rolling Stone and find his book writing subscription at taibbi.substack.com.
Around the Empire is listener supported, independent media. Pitch in at Patreon: patreon.com/aroundtheempire or paypal.me/aroundtheempirepod. Find all links at aroundtheempire.com.
SUBSCRIBE on YouTube. FOLLOW @aroundtheempire and @joanneleon. SUBSCRIBE/FOLLOW on iTunes, iHeart, Spotify, Google Play, Facebook or on your preferred podcast app.
Recorded on March 27, 2019. Music by Fluorescent Grey.
- It’s official: Russiagate is this generation’s WMD: The Iraq war faceplant damaged the reputation of the press. Russiagate just destroyed it, Matt Taibbi, Hate, Inc.
- Serious journalists should be proud of — not bullied over — their Russia reporting, Margaret Sullivan, Washington Post
- Taibbi: As the Mueller Probe Ends, New Russiagate Myths Begin, Rolling Stone
- FT Edward Luce: Robert Mueller is the God that failed Democrats
- Edward Luce on Morning Joe, MSNBC, March 25, 2019
- Video: Christopher Steele’s Former Boss Dismisses Trump Dossier Claims, Calls Them ‘Overrated’
- Podcast: John Batchelor Show with Stephen Cohen, Feb. 14/15, 2017