Alan McLeod has done extensive analysis on the past two decades of media coverage on Venezuela, since the election of Hugo Chavez and the Bolivarian revolution. He joins us today from Scotland to share some of that analysis and one particularly interesting observation. Corporate media has used Venezuela, “consistently demonized and misrepresented in the US press,” to pressure left-leaning political movements conform with and even promote aggressive American foreign policy.
We look at the current case of Bernie Sanders and his positions on regime change in Venezuela to illustrate this process of policing narratives and manufacturing consent for meddling and aggression. We also talk about how regime change operations against countries with strong socialist policies are driven not just by the pursuit of domination and resources. They’re also used to manipulate politics at home: to suppress anti-imperialist dissent and to subvert the rise of left-oriented populist movements.
Dr. Alan MacLeod, an expert in sociology, media theory and analysis, is a writer, and a member of the Glasgow University Media Group. His research interests include social media, Latin American politics and propaganda. He is currently working on a project to update and refine the Propaganda Model of Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky. He is the author of 2018 book titled: Bad News from Venezuela: Twenty years of fake news and misreporting.
FOLLOW him on Twitter at @AlanRMacLeod
Recorded on March 7, 2019. Music by Fluorescent Grey.
- Venezuela-Baiting: How Media Keep Anti-Imperialist Dissent in Check, FAIR, Alan MacLeod
- Book: Bad News from Venezuela: Twenty years of fake news and misreporting (2018) (Routledge Focus on Communication and Society)
- Twitter 2/3/19 THREAD on Venezuela media coverage, Alan MacLeod
- Manufacturing Consent for the 2018 Elections in Venezuela and Colombia (2018), Alan MacLeod, Media Theory Journal
- Chavista ‘thugs’ vs. opposition ‘civil society’: western media on Venezuela (2019), Alan MacLeod, SAGE Journals
- Was Hugo Chávez to Blame? Media Depictions of Polarisation in Venezuela, 1998–2013, Alan MacLeod, Bulletin of Latin American Research. Society for Latin American Studies
- A Force for Democracy? Representations of the US Government in American Coverage of Venezuela (2019), Alan MacLeod, frontiers in Communication
- Manufacturing Consent in Venezuela: Media Misreporting of a Country, 1998–2014,
- Noam Chomsky on Venezuela, audio clip from Ralph Nader Radio Hour, March 2, 2019